Recipes

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Day of No Spending, and Other Things

Today was my elderly friend, Ellen's day to visit the dentist for her initial consultation and I had promised her that I would accompany her for this visit.   Off we went in my little but very warm car for the one block drive to the dentist.  I am very grateful for underground parking.  While the car may be chilly it doesn't take long for the engine to warm and the interior to be toasty comfortable when it's sheltered inside. 

During her hour long visit/my wait, I took the time to familiarize myself with the settings on my camera.... oh the procrastination I have done over the years.  I learned a bit more how to operate it in different lights.  I feel just a little bit smarter today.  LOL! 

I had mentioned the needs to her at the drop-in shelter and she gathered up scarves, hats, gloves that she didn't use anymore, so we took the time to drive to the shelter for her to drop them off.  I took her inside so that she would be able to see the needs firsthand.  It is a real eye opener when viewed personally and she was troubled to see how many individuals were taking advantage of the opportunity to go indoors on this coldest day of the year so far.  Then on to our own simple soup and sandwich lunch which warmed us to the center of our being.  We both said a prayer of gratitude for it. 

Then followed a circuitous drive towards home along Lake Ontario, with a stop at Heydenshore Park to gaze over the frigid water.  I turned the car off for a bit so as to not waste gas but we didn't linger 'cause the car cooled off very quickly.  Off we headed toward home to snuggle into our cozy residences.  It was a simple, relaxed spend nothing day which I thoroughly enjoyed.  :)

Stay warm everyone, everywhere in the deep freeze!!

This and That From The Cat!!

5 comments:

  1. I still don't know how to use my camera properly...it seems so difficult to remember it all.
    stay warm
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good way to use the time in a waiting room!

    Stay warm - I'm a little bit South in Massachusetts, and it's pretty chilly here, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Jane I still have no idea what all the settings are for, I just muddle through. Here's hoping it will be a little warmer soon.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Your friend and you are very caring souls. It is very hard for people to understand what others are going through and the need until you see it first hand.
    I never did figure out my camera settings and now it died. A sad day for me. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO cold here in Chicago; gym, library and home to warm up !

    ReplyDelete